A random collection of things I come across.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I've done my bit for the environment"

The Toyota Prius has become a symbol of going green and saving the world from global warming effects. I recently saw a woman on TV saying "I've done my bit for the environment" pointing to her new Prius.
That is the wrong attitude/impression to have. First, it is laudable that she has started to think about the environment and global warming, etc. Thinking about the problem, learning more about it is the right direction before actually 'doing your bit'. But buying a Prius is not the end of the story. Its just the start. I would also like to point out that the 'tone' of her statement indicated that driving the Prius was somewhat of a compromise. Let me just say the Prius is a good car in its own right and need not be seen as a step down from your favorite sedan. (although its not comparable to a top-of-the-line luxury car or a sport(y) car .

That aside, the more important point of doing your bit continues beyond the purchase of a Prius. There are many simple things in daily life to follow that can reduce your energy consumption and carbon footprint. (It'll even save you a few dollars as well). A few of the things I do differently now i.e. ever since I became environmentally conscious are these:

  • Turn off lights / air-conditioning when not you are leaving the room.
  • Turn off the monitor of your PC at work/home when I leave for more than 15 minutes (lunch, dinner, end of the day, meetings, etc)
  • During winters, set the temperature to 2-3 degrees below my usual level - I never notice the difference. Saves a lot of heating cost. If your house has temperature controls for individual rooms, make the fullest use of it: heating the bedroom only when you are asleep.
  • Try to combine my shopping chores in to a single trip: it is better to drive once with a full trunk rather than driving many times with a near-empty car. (Driving to the grocery store to buy a one tomato/onion/a bottle of water is an absolute crime. I knew a couple of people who did this.)
  • Carpooling: Not always easy. Use of public transport is also a good option.

No comments: